A few things have been happening around me which have propelled me to write. I guess I initially stopped blogging because I was told that I only write about negative things. But I've found it to be cathartic to express these downers - u know just get it out of the system, I don't necessarily need a reaction, it's just for me. It's not meant to influence anyone, or make you, the reader, feel negative, etc.
Aware - the issue with aware just rankles me to the boot. On a basic level, I work for a non profit organisation, and I always thought that an organisation that was looking into the needs of women was worthy enough of my time. And money - that is why earlier this year, I signed up as a member. There was a whiff of freshness about the approach of a new staff I sensed, and I paid up and became a member. I've not been able to attend any activities due to the hectic nature of my schedule (classes in the evening almost every weekday) but I didn't expect that when my time freed up, I would be attending an EGM to express a vote of non confidence on "elected" Exco. Everyone in Singapore is aware of the situation but to succintly summarise it for my one non Singaporean reader, Aware is an advocacy group for women (www.aware.org.sg) and a group of right wing fundamentalist Christians, who are anti abortion, anti homosexuals, etc etc have taken over the organisation. Most of the members haven't served in the organisation previously, and only became members less than 6 months ago.
So, the old Guards have asked for an EGM and this news has been making headlines for the last 10 days. It's been quite dramatic, with the employer of the current president, chastising her for taking up the appointment despite their unhappiness. So, this Sat there's gonna be some blood spilled. I'm all for an inclusive society. One of the evil side members, had emailed me, asking to sign a petition against the sexuality programme that Aware conducts. He tried to convince ME of all people, that homosexuality isn't like being left or right handed, that it was more of a disorder of the tormented mind. Well, I told him I believed that everyone is born bisexual. In the usual evangelical way, he wanted to dialogue with me, to set me straight on the "right" path. Maybe I should try to convert him to my diabolical ways. Tee hee.
More to come later, off to a yummy Thai meal. Drool away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment