Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dismal Birthday Lunch

I am determined to blog about my experiences henceforth, forget spelling, grammar, sentence structure. "Just write" is my new motto! (Zai's inner voice goes, "shouldn't you be writing your term papers instead" Hee hee

Anyways, in this entry I am venting once again, this time about service.

I had taked dead Noushi to his brithday lunch yesterday. He was really sweet on my birthday, he had come by during my lunch and we had some of my favourite food, pasta. He prefers Indian food (of course, duh!) and I decided to take him to one of the restaurants on Race Course Road. I had heard of Copper Chimney before and was especially keen since I enjoy Indianised Chinese food. My family used to thoroughly enjoy Indian Wok, when the previous chef used to cook up a storm. The manager was very personable and the epitome of great service staff. He made the family feel like we were VIPs every time we went there. Anyways, that was the old Indian Work, now everything about the place sucks!

Back to Copper Chimney, Noushi and I were the only people there when we went. They are now located opposite Mustafa Centre, on Syed Alwi Road. The decor looked sparse, and I was really expecting a conducive ambience. The pictures on the website are certainly misleading.

Once I walked in, I didn't really get good vibes at all. We should have changed our mind then and there but I was too excited about passing my gift to him that I overlooked the initial tardiness. The service staff were waiting around the kitchen area instead of coming to take our order. When the guy came, he had a sullen face. We ordered saffron rice, chinese style cauliflower, one naan, tandoori chicken and prawn masala. Later I ordered some sesame lamb that sounded yummy.

I wish I had taken a photo, but the food, especially the sesame lamb was soaked in oil and salty. I must say that the rest of the food was average, and nowhere near worth the money that I paid for. Another staff brought the bill, and the general feeling conveyed by all the service staff was "How dare you disturb our siesta." I really felt like we were intruding their space. They were unfriendly and had a dour expression. The only bright spark in the whole experience was having my sweetie pie with me. The place certainly left my mouth with a bad taste! A big X to Copper Chimney!

No comments: